Frontier gap year banner

iGap Newsletter

Pyongyang Reunification Gateway

Gap Year in North Korea

The only way to get a gap year placement in North Korea is in TEFL (teaching English) – apparently interest is increasing – but opportunities are extremely rare. If you want to spend part of your Gap year in North Korea travelling, an option is to get a placement in China or South Korea first. You can only fly into Pyongyang from Beijing or Russia.

Travelling with an organised group is your only option if you want to explore this country. Once in Pyongyong (the capital), you can use the citywide subway to hit a few permissible tourist spots. Getting out, you can take a plane or train to Beijing or Moscow.

Latest opportunities in North Korea