Check for policy exclusions
You should check the small print of your insurance policy very carefully to see if any exclusions might apply. Exclusions could include injury or death through acts of terrorism or nature; accidents caused through drinking alcohol or engaging in dangerous sports (and the list of these varies from policy to policy); or problems arising from a previous illness that you have not declared to the insurer. If you are not sure whether you are covered for any of the above, you should check with your insurer.
What is usually included in your travel insurance policy?
All policies can vary, which is why you need to spend the time checking what is covered, as well as the small print and exclusions. Generally, a good comprehensive travel insurance policy will cover you for the following:
- Cancellation - You should be able to reclaim the cost of your holiday if you have to cancel any or part of your trip due to illness or another valid reason. Make sure this cover starts from the date you book your holiday.
- Medical expenses - If you are taken ill or involved in an accident while you are away, you should be covered for medical treatment, hospital stays, any additional accommodation required, travel costs, and emergency repatriation (flying you home).
- Personal accident - In the unlikely event of your death or permanent disability while you are travelling, your insurance company will pay out a sum of money. The level of money depends on the extent of the disability.
- Personal belongings/possessions - You should be compensated for any costs associated your belongings being lost, damaged or stolen. This should include passport, tickets, camera, money, luggage etc. This cover usually has an upper limit on the total claim and the per item claim, so make sure you individually name anything that is expensive. Remember that any theft needs to be reported to the police within 24 hours. Your insurance company will ask for a police report before paying out.
- Delays - This includes compensation for luggage delays and missed departures.
- Personal liability - This covers you if you injure someone or damage their property and are subsequently sued, and may include legal expenses cover if you need to take legal action against a third party.
Try these companies for quotes, then get some more!