Concordia International Volunteers
Concordia is a small not-for-profit charity whose aim is to bring people together from different countries to work towards the breakdown of cultural stereotypes, promoting greater understanding and international peace.
International Volunteer Projects
Our International Volunteer Programme offers volunteers aged 18+ the opportunity to join international teams of volunteers working on short-term projects in over 60 countries in Europe, North America, Africa, Asia and Latin America. Selections of projects, mainly in Europe, are available for teenagers aged 16 and 17.
Types of Projects
The project range is diverse and includes nature conservation, restoration, archaeology, construction, art and culture as well as projects that are more socially based including children’s play-schemes and teaching.These are some examples of projects you might find available:
• Volunteer with refugees in Belgium
• Set up a music festival in Germany
• Restore a castle in France
• Assist with holidays for people with special needs in the USA
• Volunteer at a nature reserve in Italy
• Carry out archaeological work in Greece
• Rebuild a children’s playground in Croatia
• Help with arts activities in Turkey
• Promote organic farming in Japan
• Organise activities for street children in India
• Teach English in Thailand
Summer, Winter and Spring Programme
The main season runs from June to September. Selecting a project is easy through our database, which is on our website (www.concordia-iye.org.uk). The projects are available from the beginning of April each year and over 1500 different projects can be found on the website. We also offer a smaller programme over the winter and spring.
Length of Projects
Projects usually last for 2-4 weeks; we also offer a few projects lasting from 1 month up to 6, though the minimum age for these projects is 20 and volunteers are required to have some previous experience.
How to apply and costs
All projects currently available are listed on our website www.concordiavolunteers.org.uk. Volunteers pay a registration fee of £200 and fund their own travel. Board and accommodation is free of charge for projects in Europe, Eastern Europe Russia, North America, Japan and South Korea. Only for projects in Latin America, Asia and Africa volunteers are required to pay an on-arrival fee of approx. £150-200 (it covers food, accommodation and funds the entire programme in the country) and to attend a preparation day or weekend in Brighton: each year dates available in February, June, July and October.
Concordia International Volunteer Programme in brief:
• Most projects run from June to September with a smaller winter/spring programme
• Summer programme available on line on www.concordia-iye.org.uk every year in April with more than 1500 projects to choose from
• Projects available in Europe, North America, Africa, Asia and Latin America
• Projects last for 2 – 4 weeks
• Projects for anyone aged 18+
• Teenage projects for 16 – 17 year olds
• No experience necessary
• Volunteers pay a registration fee of £180 plus their travel costs. Food and accommodation are provided free of charge
Co-ordinate an International Volunteer Project in the UK
Concordia also recruits volunteers (20+) to act as Group Co-ordinators on UK based projects, for which training is provided and all expenses are paid. Generally the work doesn’t require specific skills or experience, though real motivation and commitment to the project are a must.
European Voluntary Service – EVS
Another programme that Concordia runs is European Voluntary Service (EVS) which offers young people aged 18-30 the opportunity to volunteer in Europe for a period of 6 to 12 months. The type of placement varies enormously and could include, conservation, renovation, agriculture, work with adults or children, arts and culturally based projects. These projects offer volunteers the opportunity to support the work of a host organisation or communities and develop their skills in an area of work that interests them. EVS placements are fully funded and therefore an accessible volunteering opportunity for a diverse range of young people.